Monday, September 6, 2010

10 Great Moments of Lost (Warning: Full of Spoilers)

If you're a Lost fan like me, you can probably understand how much I loved the show. And if you're not a fan, quit reading this spoilerific list and watch the show. Sure, over six seasons, it had plenty of bad moments (ahem, Stranger in a Strange Land). However, it had way more great moments, and in my opinion, the good definitely outweighed the bad. I thought I'd share some of my favorite here. Now, keep in mind, there's been a lot of Lost, and I've probably forgotten some of my favorite moments or couldn't find them on YouTube. So, this is in no way a definitive list, even for my humble opinion. In fact, I was going to call this "The Best Moments of Lost," but I think I'll just call it "10 Great Moments of Lost," instead.

Hurley's Explanation of Lost
This video won't embed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63dmgzc1jBE

Anyone who watches Lost should know that it's a show that towes a thin line between ridiculous and completely insanely awesome. When someone asks what it's about, it's hard to explain without sounding like a crazy person. This moment  is great because it serves to show just how many insane things have happened on Lost from the beginning of the show.

Ben Eats Breakfast



When Ben first appeared on Lost,  it would have been hard for anyone to guess just how much of a criminal mastermind he was going to turn out to be. Sure, it was logical to assume that he might have malicious motives, but that's simply because a rule of Lost seems to be assume guilty unless proven innocent. This scene gives the viewers a glimpse into the insanity that is Benjamin Linus.

The Awakenings



To many, the flashsideways aspect of season six was a disappointment. And although I didn't hate them, I was a little disappointed in their execution and the reveal of their true nature. Regardless of my feelings towards the flashsideways as a whole, I loved the "awakenings" that occurred during them. They were the perfect way to give Lost a sense of nostalgia as it was nearing its end. Maybe it's Michael Giacchino's beautiful music or possibly I'm just a sap, but the awakenings even made me tear up.

The Death of Charlie



In many shows, you can feel safe that your favorite main character will live to see the end of the show. Maybe some red shirts will die and a couple of minor characters will die, but as a whole, everyone who is generally liked and is a part of the core group is guaranteed safety. This is not the case on Lost. For several episodes before this, Desmond's "you're gonna die, Charlie" pretty much laid out what was going to happen. And it's to the credit of Lost, that they actually followed through.

Michael Shoots Libby and Ana Lucia



This would have to go down in my mind as possibly the most shocking moment in Lost. It was heartbreaking and yet slightly satisfying. Like many people, I was not a fan of Ana Lucia. I spent much of season two wishing that they would kill her off, and surprisingly, my wish was granted (if only my wishing power had applied to Kate). But my heart broke a little bit at seeing Libby die, especially as she and Hurley were about to go on their first date. This moment was not only shocking because it contained the death of two characters of medium importance. It also contained the transformation of one of the main characters into a murderer.

"Don't Tell Me What I Can't Do"



Throughout the six seasons of Lost, there were a number of catchphrases that our favorite (or least favorite) characters uttered repeatedly. One of the most prominent of those was "Don't tell me what I can't do." This phrase was said in a variety of places, by a variety of characters, in a variety of contexts. The first proclamation of this was in the office of the walkabout company by John Locke in an effort to overcome his disability (sounds a bit like Clue, doesn't it). This is the scene where we, the audience, learn that the island has somehow "fixed" John and is one of the first major "why the face" mysteries of the island.

"We Have to Go Back"



Another catchphrase of Lost, albeit one that's been ridiculed a bit more, is Jack's "we have to go back." Although many mock the phrase, I absolutely love the scene in which it was first said. As you can probably tell from some of my other choices, I love those scenes in Lost that blew my mind and left me in shock. This would have to be one of those. Laugh if you must, but in my shock, I initially thought that this scene meant Jack and Kate somehow knew each other before the island. When I heard "we have to go back," however, I realized that Lost was going to make a gutsy move and actually allow some of our castaways to escape the island. The idea that not only did some escape the island, but Jack actually wanted to go back provided an intriguing setup for season four.

Opening Scene



Lost's philosophy often seems to be "show now, explain later." So, it's no surprise that the show opens in medias res. Our first glimpse of Lost is a man lying in a field, but we quickly see the wreckage of a plane crash. By initially leaving us clueless as to the situations and characters that we see, it puts us in the mindset of the flight's passengers, one of chaos and terror. This scene introduces us to Lost without really introducing us to anyone in Lost.
 
The Final Scene



Like the flashsideways and pretty much the entirety of season six, the finale of Lost was widely debated. Some absolutely loved it, but others felt cheated by a show in which they had invested so much time. I'd have to say that my opinion of it fell somewhere in the middle; I enjoyed it, but I was also fairly disappointed. Regardless of my opinion of the finale as a whole, I thought the final scene was near perfect. In a sense, it was a joyful scene featuring the reuniting of couples and characters that hadn't seen each other in seasons. On the other hand, even though I had mixed feeling about him, it was heartbreaking to see Jack stumble to the first place he had ever been on the island. The symmetry of Jack's ending and Jack's beginning was one of the most narratively beautiful things I've seen on television. And like pretty much every other scene on this list, the score adds a strong layer of emotion to the scene. The mixture of happy and sad emotions evoked by this closing moment has me sobbing almost any time I watch this scene.

The Desmond-Penny Phone Call
Embedding is disabled, but you know it's worth it to take that extra .2 seconds and click the link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCmLg3omWVE
Out of all the scenes in Lost, this is probably the scene that I've youtubed the most times. Everything in this scene is just on point. The thoroughly convincing acting, the beautiful score, and the enduring love between Desmond and Penny hits all of my emotional buttons. This scene definitely makes a strong argument for Desmond and Penny being the cutest couple in all of Lost. I get the warm fuzzies (and I'll try to never use that phrase again) just thinking about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment